Sunday 14 December 2014

The Great Boob Taboo

Ok so last week as I perused the news I was completely  bored with and jarred by the big breastfeeding debate....errrrm with poverty, Ebola and major social injustices to speak about I'm suprised that this natural, most beautiful and I must add economical gift has been given so much air time and slaughtered so many trees. From the Telegraph to the Guardian everyone was raving about it so it's only right I add my two pence worth. It was interesting to hear the take of fellow mothers noting both the health and economical benefits of feeding. In these situations as women we often gravitate to one another, becoming activists for mothers everywhere, but on a serious note we have empathy for these sorts of issues, which I might add are not really issues at all. Oh and kudos to those mothers that took to the doors of Claridges  breastfeeding their babies in a display of soladarity, my support was made at home drinking earl gray  but I was with you all the way ladies!

All this fuss over breast, boobs, tits, it got on mine so much I tweeted about it and that's saying something. Surely we should have more to say then, about lad mags, top shelf reads and the like. I cringe when I pop into a sweet shop, kids in tow, only for my periphery to be met by 1 or  2 shelves that are laden with women posing au naturele, lust screaming off the page as well as the nether regions, brazilian and all. Some of the shelves aren't even high, but they're at the top so I expect that's acceptable.  Now this has become normal in the UK, although I do remember a few campaigns that fizzled out like cheap lemonade from Asda. Netherless who wants to have to shuffle their children quickly to the til in the hope they won't get a glance. I really dont want to have explain that to  my 5 year old! This no doubt should cause more discomfort, embarrassment and awkwardneess. All this being said I do not understand why public breastfeeding is a big deal. From the Mayor to the Prime Minister everyones talking about it. This mother of 3 who was ever  so discreet in feeding her baby was made to feel like she was about to dance a la burlesque during the afternoon tea which strangely would have probably been met with more acceptance. Oh poor Claridges staff members having to witness such ludeness, 'oh my, cover those eyes, lest you witness the possibly sore nipple of a doting nursing mother'....Newsflash Claridges...I'm sure you have been privvy to members of the elite who frequent your facilities dressed in as little as a transparent bandage to cover their breasts. (Please see said example below) And google images will confirm this, with pics of other celebs such as Kim K at Claridges sporting a neck line as deep as the Grand Canyon, showing off, you'll never guess...her boobs, breast, tools given from God with which to nurse. (And just for the record for those who can't/don't/won't I have nothing against you at all just continue being the brilliant mothers you are) 

Now these examples are not a dig at the 'A listers' merely a display of Claridges acceptance of boobage on show...


Ola Jordan at Claridges Hotel ballroom (getty images)

It saddens me to realise that we live in a society where the norm is now a shock and the weird and sometimes yuck is now wonderful, welcomed and deemed exciting. Obviously one disgruntled waitress and a snotty manager does not speak for the nation, however stories of nurses ushering nursing mothers into backrooms and the nervous splutterings of the powers that be indicates that it is for some reason deemed, dare I say controversial. 

As a mum of 5, yes 5 and no jokes about tellys (I have one sometimes I watch it, sometimes I don't) I have breastfed all of my children and am doing so whilst writing this actually! I'm ever grateful for the ability to multi task whilst feeding and further bonding with my lil bubsy. Knowing that I am lowering my son's  chances of illness and mine in the process makes me want to breastfeed him all the more.  Not to mention saving tons of money feeding him with milk I actually produce! You see if all of the disapproving stooges looked at it for what it is- FEEDING A BABY, they may be able to lose their inhibitions and continue serving macaroons and hibiscus tea without distraction. In public or not in public? that is the question! I receive it as a question of rhetoric as the obvious answer is in public if that's when necessary. It is a complete 'no brainer' duh, that 9 out of 10 times if our babies screamed in a quiet enclosed place we would feed them to their hearts content in that very spot. (Not so sure about a corner especially  as suggested by Mr Farage). I myself have been at restaurants and overly aware of this taboo, have become shy, if thats the right word, thrown a blanket over my shoulder and my son to conceal myself...however sometimes there really is no time to be ensuring everthing is safely in place, fumbling with bra, blanket, baby's mouth to confirm he's latched on properly in his dark and rather hot hiding place mummy has made, he wants milk and boy, he wants it now! In those cases sorry staff and other diners alike, just like us, he's hungry and I must oblige! Most of the time we are able to feed without the awkward  blanket or in this case a napkin, without showing much at all. Yet I'm sure mums everywhere will agree many breastfed babies feed on demand, inconsiderately wailing as we are trying on a skirt in Topshop or about to go in the shower, or whilst eating a cream cheese and salmon sandwich in Claridges. Therefore needs must and we will have to meet the demands of our  babies...after all if we did not the next comment would be 'can you shut that baby up!' Woe to us if people are more fussed about the unconcealed boob of a loving mumma, with so much going on in the world surely we have more to be concerned about! 

No comments:

Post a Comment